What is a field technician?
A Field Technician is a professional who provides on-site end user support, telecom installation, programming, maintenance, and repairs to a wide variety of telecommunications systems, equipment, cabling, and to other related systems and equipment at all locations within the assigned work region. They will work with a variety of telecom systems and hand tools to provision, install, and repair telephones, headsets, and related peripherals in several locations and diverse work environments.
Telecom field technician job description:
Field technician should act as per client’s requirements, generally they are responsible for the installation, maintenance, repair, and general supervision of telecommunications lines, including telephones, voice mail systems, fax lines, security, Internet, and wireless systems. Key responsibilities include:
- Administer all network services and perform tests on various equipment’s and circuits.
- Monitor all services, identify issues and resolve any problems in equipment’s.
- Design and prepare documents for network and ensure appropriate labelling of all equipment’s.
- Perform maintenance work on networks, initiate tests and perform troubleshot on all outages.
- Manage work according to diagrams and specifications for network.
- Ensure compliance to all safety standards and codes and manage work according to regulations.
- Develop and provide support to all customer programs and perform regular maintenance on same.
- Monitor all requests and ensure customer satisfaction in all processes.
- Perform installation and maintenance on all telecommunication network and associate computer systems.
- Install and configure telephone systems for communication infrastructure.
- Administer installation of PBX digital sets and analog telephone sets and associate ancillary hardware.
- Monitor all customer activities and resolve issues at customer sites for change of premises and cross connection in equipment’s.
- Manage installation of various telecommunication related materials such as routers, hubs and switches.
- Monitor data network, perform troubleshoot on same and repair and replace various cables and telephone sets.
- Analyze telecommunication market and determine all tools and equipment requirement for clients.
- Administer efficient repair of data wiring and connectors.
- Perform integrity tests on data network installations with help of LAN test equipment’s.
- Manage all onsite activities without fail
- Contributing for best client service and supporting them during field visits
- Documenting the issues and remedies which are helpful in future
- Should share the issues with technical team
- Ensuring in providing a safe work environment
Field Technician Salary :
As per Payscale, The average wage for a Field Technician is $19.45 per hour. The values provided above may vary as per the constraints like city, experience, employer and job. The freshers who have started their career will be awarded with good pay in future once they attain experience.
Field service work is highly dependent upon the industry. Despite this, the core of all field service work is maintenance and repair. To acquire a field technician job, one must possess a basic degree in computer science or Information systems or almost a relevant category like computer technology. They should also possess brilliant customer service skills and an ability to diagnose and solve problems from non-technical descriptions provided by their clients.
Freelance Opportunities :
If you are looking for an opportunity to work as freelance telecom field technician you can dive into Global Freelance Marketplaces like fieldengineer.com which is leading towards global freelance marketplace. It is a place with pool of outstanding engineers and companies that work closely with engineers.