Last Update: November 18th, 2019
Field Engineer, Inc.
77 Water Street
New York, NY 10005
What information do we collect?
We use your personal information to carry out the obligations arising from providing and improving the Service. This section describes the types and categories of personal information we may collect, and how we may use that information.
Information you provide us directly
We collect personal information that you provide when you sign up or otherwise use theService. We use this personal information in a variety of ways, and this personal information includes the following:
- When you create an account on the Service, we collect contact information from you, such as your first and last name, e-mail, mailing address, one or more phone numbers, professional skills, training, and certifications
- When you use the Services, and so we can pay you, our payment processor will collect all the information necessary to complete transactions. This information may include your name, ACH information, credit card information, billing information, and direct deposit information. We may also collect information that allows us to pay you through additional alternate payment processors such as PayPal or PayOneer. Your credit card information is stored directly by our credit card processor and is not processed directly by us
- For users of the Services located in the USA, we may also collect your social security number or EIN, and other business information to allow us to comply with local, state and federal tax regulations, and to otherwise process payments
- We retain information on your behalf, such as files and messages that you store using your Account
- When you participate in one of our online surveys, we may collect additional information that you knowingly provide
- If you contact us by email, using a contact form on the Service, or by SMS, mail, fax, or other means, we collect the personal information contained within and associated with your correspondence such as email addresses and phone numbers, and also the time and date of any correspondence
- When you post messages on the Services or on a social networking site where we have a page or presence, the information contained in your posting may be republished on our Site and other users may be able to see them
Automatically collected information
When you use our Service, some information is collected automatically and is not provided directly by you. For example, when you access our Service, we automatically collect your browser’s Internet Protocol (IP) address, your browser type, the nature of the device from which you are visiting the Service (e.g., a personal computer or a mobile device), the identifier for any handheld or mobile device that you may be using, the web site that you visited immediately prior to accessing our Service, the actions you take on our Service, and the content, features, and activities that you access and participate in on our Service. We also may collect information regarding your interaction with email messages, such as whether you opened, clicked on, or forwarded a message.
Through your use of the Service when actively working on job tasks assigned to you by us, we may record your geolocation using your mobile phone GPS technology through your use of our mobile applications or websites, or using other technologies. We may also associate location information with the time of day or a particular route taken.
To allow us to improve the quality of the Service, we may also collect additional data from your mobile phone, including mobile phone model, mobile carrier, software, and firmware version sand software diagnostics data such as crash logs.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
Information from other sources
Collection and processing of sensitive information
The Service does not collect or process ‘sensitive information’, defined as data consisting of racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, genetic data, biometric data, data concerning health or data concerning a natural person's sex life or sexual orientation. As such, you should not provide any such information as part of your user profile, as part of any correspondence, or by any other means with your use of the Service.
How do we use personal information?
We collect personal information when you register for access to the Site as a customer or engineer, or when you update your account information. We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- We use personal information to provide the Service, including creating your account, assigning you jobs and providing payment to you
- We use information about your job skills, qualifications, certifications and job history with the Service to better match you with the most appropriate job using matching algorithms and other processing
- We process location information to ensure a job task has been completed per the job specification and to otherwise ensure quality control
- We may provide your personal information, where allowed by law, to 3rd parties in order to conduct background checks and other verification
- We link this personal data to data about the way you use our Service and the pages you visit to help enhance, improve, operate, and maintain our Service, our programs, services, websites, and other systems
- To prevent fraudulent use of our Service and other systems
- To prevent or take action against activities that are, or may be, in violation of our Terms and Conditions or applicable law
- We may also use the personal information you provide to contact you regarding your use of the Service, for example, emails related to a job you are working on, or a job you have requested engineers apply for
- We may also use the personal information you provide to verify certain contact information such as email address or phone number. For example, we may send you an email to verify you are the owner of the email address you provided, or an SMS message to verify the phone number you provided
- We may use your mobile device identifier to send you in-app messages related to your use of the Service
Legal basis for processing in the EU
If you are resident in the EU, we need to inform you about the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information. In the EU, the purposes for which we process your personal information are:
- Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered in to with you for the Service;
- For the purposes of legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests; and
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation in the EU.
We use the performance of our contract with you as the legal basis for processing your personal information when you create an account and use the Service. We use legitimate interest as the legal basis when we contact you about products and services using the contact information you provided.
If you receive marketing email from us, you may unsubscribe at any time by following the instructions contained within the email. You may also opt-out from receiving marketing email from us, and any other promotional communications that we may send to you from time to time(e.g., by postal mail) by sending your request to us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to us at the address given in the ‘Contacting Us’ section of this policy. Additionally, we allow you to view and modify settings relating to the nature and frequency of promotional communications that you receive from us as part of your user settings.
Please be aware that if you opt-out of receiving marketing email from us, it may take up to ten business days for us to process your opt-out request, and you may receive marketing email from us during that period. Additionally, even after you opt-out from receiving marketing messages from us, you will continue to receive administrative and transactional messages from us regarding your use of the Service.
Rights to access
If you have a user account and profile on our Service, you have the ability to access and update many categories of personal information that you provide to us by logging in to your account and accessing your account settings. If you wish to access or amend any other personal information we hold about you, you may contact us at email@example.com If you request that we delete your account with our Service, we will do so within a reasonable period of time, but we may need to retain some of your personal information in order to satisfy our legal obligations, or where we reasonably believe that we have a legitimate reason to do so.
Links to external sites
The Service may contain links to other websites, products, or services that we do not own or operate. The Service also may contain links to Third-Party Sites such as social networking services. If you choose to visit or use any Third-Party Sites or products or services available on or through such Third-Party Sites, please be aware that this Policy will not apply to your activities or any information you disclose while using those Third-Party Sites or any products or services available on or through such Third-Party Sites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of these Third-Party Sites or any products or services on or through them. Additionally, please be aware that the Service may contain links to Web sites and services that we operate but that are governed by different privacy policies. We encourage you to carefully review the privacy policies applicable to any website or service you visit other than the Service before providing any personal information on them.
How long do we keep your personal information for?
Aggregated and anonymized data that no longer identifies the user of the Service is maintained for the purposes necessary to provide the Service.
EU privacy rights
If you are located in the EU, you have the following Data Subject Access Rights with respect to your personal information that we hold:
- Right of access. The right to obtain access to your personal information.
- Right to rectification. The right to obtain rectification of your personal information without undue delay where that personal information is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure. The right to obtain the erasure of your personal information without undue delay in certain circumstances, such as where the personal information is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was collected or processed.
- Right to restriction. The right to obtain the restriction of the processing undertaken by us on your personal information in certain circumstances, such as where the accuracy of the personal information is contested by you, for a period enabling us to verify the accuracy of that personal information.
- Right to portability. The right to portability allows you to move, copy or transfer personal information easily from one organization to another.
- Right to object. You have a right to object to processing based on legitimate interests and direct marketing.
What is our policy on children?
Children’s safety is important to us, and we encourage parents and guardians to take an active interest in the online activities of their children. Our Services are not directed to children under the age of 16, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 16 without obtaining parental consent. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 16 on our Services, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we may have collected any such personal information on our Services, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where do we store and process your personal information?
- International Transfers: Our servers and data centers are located in the United States. If you choose to use the Service from outside the U.S., then you should know that you are transferring your personal information outside of your region and into the U.S. for storage and processing. By providing your Personal Information to us through your use of the Service, you agree and consent to that transfer, storage, and processing in the U.S.Also, we may transfer your data from the U.S. to other countries or regions in connection with storage and processing of data, fulfilling your requests, and operating the Service. You should know that each region can have its own privacy and data security laws, some of which may be less stringent as compared to those of your own region.
Jurisdiction and Enforcement
- As part of our participation in the Privacy Shield, we are subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the US Federal Trade Commission ("FTC").
- For European Union residents, you also have the right to lodge a complaint to your local data protection authority. Further information about how to contact your local data protection authority is available at: https://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/article29/item-detail.cfm?item_id=612080
- We have further committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the PrivacyShield Principles to an independent dispute resolution mechanism. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint, or if your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, please visit JAMS at: https://www.jamsadr.com/eu-us-privacy-shield for more information and to file a complaint.
- Under certain conditions specified by the Principles, you may also be able to invoke binding arbitration to resolve your complaint.
California privacy disclosures
California law requires us to let you know how we respond to web browser Do Not Track (DNT)signals. Because there currently isn’t an industry or legal standard for recognizing or honoring DNT signals, we don’t respond to them at this time. We await the result of work by the privacy community and industry to determine when such a response is appropriate and what form it should take.
A California resident who has provided personal information to a business with whom he/she has established a business relationship for personal, family, or household purposes (“California Customer”) is entitled to request information about whether the business has disclosed personal information to any third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes, subject to certain exceptions. In general, subject to certain exceptions, if the business has made such a disclosure of personal information, upon receipt of a request by a California Customer, the business is required to provide, free of charge, a list of all third parties to whom personal information was disclosed in the preceding calendar year, as well as a list of the categories of personal information that were disclosed. California Customers may request further information about our compliance with this law by sending an email to email@example.com.
We do not sell, rent, or share personal information with third parties as defined under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018.
How do we secure your personal information?
To help protect your data, we use commercially reasonable steps to protect the data that we collect, including your personal information. The reasonable steps include protecting this data against accidental loss, unauthorized use, disclosure, and restricting access to personal information by our staff. The Service is hosted by a third-party hosting company that we have determined maintains adequate security controls and utilizes TLS encryption for all internet communication with the Service. We also require all staff that administer and develop the service follow industry-standard controls, including strong passwords, the use of anti-virus and anti-malware software, disk encryption and other best practices.
We use various 3rd party processors to enable us to provide the Service, and as part of our vendor due-diligence, we review the security controls these processors have in place and ensure they meet industry standards appropriate for the type of data we collect.
You should keep in mind, however, that the Service utilizes software, hardware, and networks, which from time to time require maintenance and experience problems beyond our control. Note that no data transmission over the public internet or encryption method can be guaranteed to be100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information that you provide to us. You transmit information to us at your own risk.
Updates to this Policy