Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Specialists provide technical support to those using Microsoft computer software products and operating systems. They are responsible for identifying and resolving a variety of network and workstation problems, including connectivity issues. They also must stay up-to-date about things such as products and upgrades. They further must handle other hardware and software issues.
Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Specialist Job Description
Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Specialists resolve issues related to Windows operating systems and other hardware and software. The Specialists must be able to identify and fix problems quickly. The other responsibilities include:
- Responsible for troubleshooting desktop environments running Microsoft Windows operating systems
- Providing technical assistance in product evaluations and sourcing
- Installing and configuring software and hardware
- Identifying and resolving issues related to computer and network connectivity
- Working both independently and as a part a team
- Upgrading and maintaining Windows hardware, software, and other applications
- Providing technical support to clarify Windows desktop problems
- Managing and supporting end-user devices, such as desktop systems and other peripheral equipment
- Assisting in testing, analyzing and resolving issues related to Windows operating systems
- Providing enhanced desktop and customer support services
Many organizations require that Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Specialists have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field. Some employers prefer candidates that have prior work experience as well. Others seek professionals that have a master’s degree or a specialization that emphasizes Microsoft Windows.
Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Specialist
This Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Specialist certification requires candidates to have desktop operating system support experience with an emphasis on Microsoft Windows. It provides individuals with a specific set of skills to fulfill a variety of job roles. The certification process focuses on training candidates to solve hardware or software issues on Windows client systems. The certification will continue to be valuable while Windows continues to dominate the marketplace.
Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Specialists Salary
According to Payscale.com, the salary of Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Specialists is about $56,000 per year in the United States. As per Indeed.com, average wages for Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Specialists range from $15.11 per hour for Technical Support personnel to $20.69 per hour for Senior Help Desk Analysts.
Job Outlook for Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Specialists
The U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), believes that demand for specialists will increase by 12% from 2014 to 2024. IT professionals who have a focus on Windows operating system technologies will likely have a bright future.
The FieldEngineer Factor
For telecom and network professionals who are in search of job opportunities in the on-demand freelance marketplace, FieldEngineer.com is a one-stop platform. It is a place where individuals can showcase their skills and connect with businesses. More than 40,000 freelance field engineers from more than 170 countries across the world use this platform, which provides excellent opportunities to qualified candidates.