In a contemporary intelligence and with the rise of the global tech world, the role of desktop support technician is inevitable. A Desktop Support Technician is a professional, called when something goes erroneous with a desktop computer in their organization or at their designated field site.
They help in troubleshooting the issue for organizations to maintain the functionality of the system to be in line with business goals. Predominantly they are responsible for installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of required software and hardware whether onsite or remotely, for client or colleagues.
Desktop Support Technician is known as one of the backbones of IT organization. They are also accountable for groundwork, installation, and maintenance of end user workstation equipment (laptops/ desktops) and additional peripherals including IP telephones.
The maintenance activities will comprise the removal and replacement of computer devices. Working with computer vendor technical support desks and allied services as per the organizational procedures. The technician is involved in the set-up of software and hardware on various types of operating systems like Windows, Unix, Linux, and many more.
Desktop Support Technician Jobs:
The Desktop Support Technicians are present almost in every industry or enterprise: Hospital, IT companies, retails, Pharmaceuticals, MSP (Managed Service Providers), Network Operation centers (NOC), as freelance providers like FieldEngineer.com.
Support Technicians are the first point of contact for local end-user support and deliver remote support to various offices of an organization.
Following are the customary roles and responsibilities of a skilled Desktop Support Technician jobs:
Desktop Support Technician Job Description
- To set up and manage user accounts and permissions to consent access to a network.
- Upholding and testing security, blocking unapproved access.
- Chalk out maintenance plan for the prevention of unexpected failures.
- Setting up the Organization’s computer system to meet specific business goals.
- Monitoring day to day computer performance.
- Update and maintain the computer inventory and equipment.
- Maintain and resolve issues on LAN/WAN, VoIP telephone, biometric, AV systems connections.
- Ensure desktop computers interconnection seamlessly with diverse system keeping in mind for compatibility factors.
- Coordinate with vendors to resolve technical problems with desktop computing equipment and software.
- Endorse and apply upgrades to systems to ensure durability.
- Assess functional needs to regulate system purchase specifications.
- Resolve hardware and network connectivity issues.
- Validate & approve VPN access for all remote users.
- Assist in technical upgrading and maintaining of entire desktop systems.
- Support in testing and deployment of new applications and systems.
- Train and guide staff hardware and software usage.
To be a well-recognized professional in this tech era, one needs to become or earn a relevant certification for the best foot forward on the cutting edge keeping in mind about best customer service.
Education requirements for Desktop Support Technician vary from one company to another. Desktop Support Technician jobs need some computer knowledge, but not essentially a postsecondary degree. Professionals who have taken some computer-related courses are often skilled. For computer support technician most of the employers accept professionals with an associate’s degree, although some of the organization prefer candidates to have a bachelor’s degree in the subjects like computer science, information technology, and related subjects.
Desktop Support Technician Certification:
The certification programs are usually offered by vendors or from vendor-neutral certification providers. Certification authenticates the knowledge of and best practices needed by Desktop Support Technician. An organization may need their desktop support technician to hold certifications in the products and services the companies use.
Apart from the essential degree in computer science, keeping in mind ever-changing world, the following are top Desktop Support Technician Certifications as a critical enhancer for your career:
- CompTIA A+/ Network+, Microsoft, and Cisco certifications.
- MCDST (Microsoft certified desktop support technician)
- MCSE (Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert)
- MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional)
- HDI – Desktop Support Technician Certifications
Why become a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST)?
The need for proven ability is increasing in size and complexity of computer businesses. Microsoft has developed a highly specialized program as MCDST to provide an edge to the professionals, as companies rely on certifications to verify the skills per the abilities. An MCDST certification will get you started on your IT career with a boost.
The Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST) is an entry-level certification supported and supervised by Microsoft Corporation. This certification specifies that a professional is expert and knowledgeable adequately to execute basic troubleshooting and repairs support issues on a desktop setting running on the Microsoft Windows operating system.
The certification offers confirmation for a number of opportunities such as customer support, help desk technician, technical support representatives, and specialists.
How much do you earn as a Desktop Support Technician:
According to PayScale, an average Desktop Support Technician salary ranges from $30,914 to $60,992 per year in the United States. Depending on experience and other factors. Working as part-time can be a great option regarding rewards and gaining the boost to the career. In the telecom world, top freelance marketplaces like FieldEngineer provides the premium juncture for freelance desktop support technician with a holistic approach.
How FieldEngineer helps:
For Telecom, IT, and network professionals who are in hunt of career opportunities in an on-demand marketplace, FieldEngineer.com is a one-stop solution. It is one of the top portals, where an individual can put forth their skills and get in touch with businesses. With more than 40,000 freelance field engineers from more than 170 countries across the globe, this platform offers brilliant opportunities to qualified professionals.
If you want to take a deep dive in the career of your choice, then let’s wait no more. Come and join with FieldEngineer.com right away to reap the huge growth with your flexibility.