Data Center Technician
What does a data center technician do? A data center technician is someone who provides all the necessary support to a business’s data center. Typically, data centers have personnel equipped with facilities to conduct this specific operation in the organization. The telecom industry is expected to change dramatically in 2019, so it’s incredibly important for data center technicians to have up to date skill sets. The professionals work with individual servers or hardware infrastructure backups and restoration of data within a network. IT service center technician duties include running cables, improving data center security and additional maintenance.
A data center technician should answer questions and take queries from various sources and provide them with the right information. Knowledge of technology requirements is one of the required skills for a data center technician. Additionally, data center technicians must be competent with operating systems, network infrastructure and all kinds of hardware deployment.
Data Center Technician Job Description
The data center technician job description focuses on providing the necessary technical support at data centers. IT services center technicians should be able to do a system/network installation, configuration, and troubleshoot problems to make sure operations run smoothly. A standard data center technician job description will have these responsibilities:
- Must take care of the installation and maintenance of the data center devices and process. These may include servers or some specific software necessary for the organization.
- Should have a good understanding of all technicalities. It will help the professionals to identify the errors and also monitor occurrences related to data center tasks. They should be able to resolve any errors as quickly as possible.
- Maintain a record to keep track of all the events and logs. It will make work easy when they submit timely reports to the superiors.
- Should come up with practical troubleshooting solutions and must educate the staff members about the same.
- It is crucial to carry out assessments and inspections at regular intervals. It will help them to keep everything under control and will also allow them to act immediately whenever any problem occurs.
- Must come up with new and prospective ideas to improve business. Should have excellent communication skills to put across the message.
Data Center Technician Education Requirements
The candidate must have bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or IT Engineering. Proper training in hardware and software administration can be advantageous. Apart from the regular education, there are some certification courses as well that can increase job prospects. These are some of the certification courses that one can opt for:
- Cisco Certified Network Associate Data Center (CCNA Data Center)
- Cisco Certified Network Professional Data Center (CCNP Data Center)
- Juniper Networks Certified Professional Data Center (JNCIP-DC)
- VCE Converged Infrastructure Administration Engineer (VCE-CIAE)
- VMware Certified Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization (VCP6-DCV)
Data Center Technician Skills
Advanced skills for a data center technician can be required depending on the position. In general, data center technicians are required to have Information Technology (IT) skills. Data center Technician should have good knowledge about switches, routers, monitors, and various other specialized equipment. They are also expected to have troubleshooting skills, and should be able to conduct tests to identify and fix faults in a computer/network system. These skills will help data center technicians excel in the field.
Data Center Technician Salary & Job Outlook
According to PayScale, the data center technician career field is largely male dominated. The average data center technician salary is $21.92 per hour. The standard factors that will affect data center technician salary are the geographic location, amount of experience and the particular employer. Overall, reports indicate that job satisfaction is high, and technicians report work being enjoyable.
Currently, data center technicians have one of the top skills in the US. According to a survey conducted by Campos Research & Analysis, there will be a 7.7% increase in data center investments. Statistics show that the growing data center infrastructure is creating a surge in need for technology specialists on short notice, which indicates that the job outlook for freelance and remote data center technicians is very promising.
Get Hired with Field Engineer
In a field that is rapidly becoming high-demand, now is the prime time to sign-up to start a career as a freelance data center technician. Field Engineer provides remote and freelance jobs globally on their job marketplace. What are you waiting for? Sign up for free at Field Engineer today!
Hire an On-Demand Data Center Technician Today!
Streamlined job posting service, automated payments and flexibility on your terms are a few advantages of working with Field Engineer. Businesses get access to 40,000+ engineers from over 180 different countries. If you’re looking to hire engineers globally from a pool of top technical talent, sign-up for free at Field Engineer.