Cyber Security Certifications That Will Get You Hired
What is Cyber Security Certification?
Cyber Security covers a vast array of technical jobs related to the security and protection of digital hardware and software. Cyber Security by nature is a highly technical and ever-evolving role that requires dedication and constant education. Such roles are highly necessary to protect systems from hackers, unauthorised access and malicious attacks.
Cyber Security Certification demonstrates clearly to a potential employer that you are capable of performing the basic tasks necessary to protect systems from a malicious attacker. The more recent the certification the more you are able to demonstrate that have current and up-to-date knowledge of potential attacks and weaknesses.
Cyber Security Certification is important to keep up with as the world of security and hacking is constantly evolving. Hackers are constantly changing their methods and finding ever increasingly devious ways to find system vulnerabilities and exploit them. In the world of telecommunications and IT systems, it is imperative to stay ahead of the game as the sheer volume of information traded on these systems daily can be extremely damaging if it was to be exploited for the world to see.
How Can You Gain a Cyber Security Certification
Cyber Security Certifications can be gained in a number of different ways. The most popular way is to select a provider such as CompTia os Microsoft and simply pay for the educational materials and the test. Most of the major providers will require you to sit a test at a pre-determined test centre at a specific time. Some of these tests require a physical element such as the CompTIA foundational certificates that deal with computer hardware, but most will also have a paper test to be performed under test conditions.
In some cases, you can gain all the necessary learning materials yourself and only pay for the certification as a way to prove your knowledge of the material. If you believe that having the knowledge from and sitting the test for a specific certification will improve your abilities in your current role, speak to your employer and see if they might fund the test for you.
What Certifications are Available?
There are several Cyber Security Certifications available to computer professionals. The top certifications for you to consider are:
- CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker: The CEH certification will demonstrate your ability and knowledge regarding the ways that a hacker can gain access to a system. This certification teaches you not only the methods of hacking but it also trains you to think like a hacker in order to help you better defend against them.
- CompTIA Security+: CompTIA Security+ is a foundational necessity in the methods of installing and securing networks and hardware. Not only will you be able to secure a network from attack, but you will be able to understand the science behind cryptography, risk management and damage prevention.
- CompTIA Network+: CompTIA Network+ is the absolute basic certification in network installation. This is a great certification to be built upon when moving deeper into your Cyber Security career. All Cyber Security professionals should have this certification.
- CISSP - Certified Information Systems Security Professional: The CISSP Certification allows you to prove that you have the ability to develop and implement efficient and effective Cyber Security protocols and manage advanced security systems. You will require at least 5 years of experience before you are able to take this certification, so that should speak to how highly this certification is viewed.
- CISM – Certified Information Security Manager: CISM builds upon the CISSP and will turn you into a managerial powerhouse. This not only demonstrates your knowledge but your ability to lead a team of security professionals as well.
- CCNP - Cisco Certified Network Professional: The CCNP demonstrates your ability to effectively install all aspects of a secure network. Again, this is a must for all network professionals as it demonstrates a very technical knowledge of deploying network hardware and installing appropriate security measures.
What Do You Need to Gain a Cyber Security Certification?
Most Cyber Security Certifications are gained after purchasing the testing time and learning materials from the specific provider. However, some certifications do have extra requirements attached to them.
Some Certifications require you to hold previous and lower-level certifications before you can sit the test. This is so you can show the natural progression from one stage of learning to the next. A good example of this is the CISSP to the CISM as the CISM shows that you are able to effectively lead a team of Cyber Security professionals.
Some certifications may also require you to have so many years of experience before you you are able to sit them. This is to ensure that you have the relevant and actionable knowledge required to actually pass the exams. Some of the certification exams are incredibly difficult and to allow someone without the relevant knowledge to sit them would be a waste of their time.
In this digital age where information is so accessible across a variety of networks, Cyber Security Certifications are essential to demonstrate to potential employers that you are a capable Cyber Security professional. Here at fieldengineer.com, we can help you find your next Cyber Security role by allowing you to easily demonstrate your skills and certifications on our easy to use job finding platform. If you are a business currently in need of Certified Cyber Security professionals then we can help there as well. Using our candidate searching software we can match you with qualified Cyber Security Professionals in your area at a small fee. If you are looking for your next role or your next employee, then create an account and get in touch now