Blade Servers Engineer
The Blade servers engineer is the professional expert usually involved in the set- up and configuration of a server in the data center. They manage the server in a complex distributed environment. Engineers perform the installation, configuration, and management of physical servers, storage and virtual devices with networking technology like WAN, LAN, etc.
Unlike rack server, engineers also take care for the blade enclosures to hold the multiple blade servers that house in single blade chassis. Generally, Blade server engineer makes use of such server for a variety of function like web hosting, virtualization, and cluster computing.
What is Blade Server?
A blade server is a lean server computer with a segmental design improved to reduce the use of physical space and energy. Nowadays, with the current development, enterprises are moving up toward the Blade server technology for their data center maintenance, networking and more.
As per the client requirement, there are different types of blade server which is handled by the engineer based on the client requirements. The blade server vendors in the market include HPE BladeSystem, Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Servers, and Lenovo flex system blade server.
Job Description & Responsibilities
Following are the job responsibilities of a Blade Server Engineer
- Blade servers engineer should have the capability to install, administer and fix MS Windows servers and the active directory background along with server hardware
- To have the specialized skill to install, run and adjust the virtual and shared setting such as VMware and Citrix technologies
- They should be skillful to install, manage and repair server-based antivirus, tape and image backup
- Control over the repair desktop and desktop client connectivity to the server/appliance setting
- Should have the dedicated capacity to install, direct the Lotus Notes email server system, business archiving and grouping solutions
- They must have a basic understanding of how to fix the network connectivity and application connectivity related issues.
Education & Certification
To be successful in this field, you will need to have an essential degree in computer science, IT, network technologies or a related field. A certification will add value to you as a professional.
There are several certifications which are beneficial for present engineers engaged with ongoing training as well as for other server specialists looking to become blade server engineer.
Following are the top certifications which are helpful for the career enhancement from the non-certified peers.
- VMware Certified Professional
- Cisco Data Center Storage Networking Design Specialist
- HP Enterprise Storage Certifications
- IBM Certified Storage Specialist
- EMC Proven Professional
- NetApp Certified Data Administrators
- Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) Certified Professional
- Brocade Certification
- Oracle/Sun Certification
Skills & Job Outlook
As a storage engineer, you should have an understanding of server and storage technologies along with their installation for a business. Companies are finding that IT personnel with the necessary skill sets of blade server technology are in short supply for the various businesses. As a freelance Blade server engineer, you can get connected to solve their issues for better productivity.
As per Payscale, the average salary of Blade Servers Engineers is around $73, 180 per annum and ranges up to lakh or more depending on experiences in the United States. Besides full-time in-house roles, freelancing can be just lucrative, with many teams looking to incorporate Blade Servers Engineers to provide their services to a growing marketing in enterprise-level business
How Field Engineer Can Help you
A Blade Servers Engineers provides a specialized expertise, so finding those employers and clients looking for exactly what you provide is your quickest route to success. FieldEngineer.com is a platform of over 40,000 freelancers, designed to connect those with specific skills to the opportunities most relevant to you. Signup now and Find Jobs!