Windows Server Engineer
A Windows Server Engineer is an IT professional who bears the tasks to maintain, establish, and troubleshoot the server issues. Windows servers are one of the most used servers across the organization for their IT support. They help to monitor, test and resolve server related queries to their client or company.
They provide support for IT infrastructure services on all hosted windows operating system flavors from Windows 2003 to Windows 2016. Engineers work proactively within a team on requests created in ticketing tool. Hosting servers in cloud computing has already hit the IT and telecom market.
In this cloud computing, the Windows Server Engineers host and maintain the server system virtually. They are involved in the upkeep of the server to a cloud computing service such as Azure, AWS, and VMware. Furthermore, Engineers leverage the benefits of cloud-hosted windows server as its more reliable and more accessible to scale up.
Their role is vital to every organization as its one of the critical position. At times it can be catastrophic if the windows server doesn’t respond on peak time.
They provide end-to-end solutions to the stakeholders with the best productivity keeping in mind the IT security policy. Windows Server Engineers must possess a broad understanding of hardware and software technology and its application in the business environment including datacenter establishment.
The Engineers suggest approvals about hardware and computer software development and its cost. Engineers retain the production change control plan and contribute to change control.
Their main job profile involves designing and implementing computer systems, both software and network. Server professional ensures that the computer system responds efficiently to support the requirements of an organization.
The following are the core job responsibilities:
- To develop and maintain windows platform for the server as a host, connected with multiple clients (other computers)
- Test and certify new versions of windows operating system providing better solution and integration for the application like VMware and SharePoint.
- Integrate the server automation process either by custom scripts or via third-party solutions.
- Implement regular checks for the status of servers including hardware and software.
- Maintain and support multi-site windows environment along with hardware and software configuration.
- Management of server migration when required by the client.
- They should have the basic Understanding of LAN/WAN/VLAN, TCP/IP, UDP
Systems or server engineers keep the computer networking system in an office setting by tracing server action, executes upgrades of software, maintains the computer system, which addresses the queries about technical issues, and improves the effectiveness by assessing computer network functions.
The engineers finalize most of the work during normal business hours. Sometimes, with new system upgrades or server fixes, engineers complete the task through odd hours of the evening or on holidays.
Engineers of Windows server are of the most critical position and to be a success in this you will need to have a primary degree in computer science, IT, electronics and related field. A deep understanding of Windows 2008, windows server 2012 and SCCM along with large-scale server management.
Maximum businesses’ seek server engineers who have some mix of education and skill. Usually, engineers who have worked their way to top from a lower position and have gained professional certification may succeed for upper positions.
Following are the essential certifications in this windows environment
- CompTIA Server+
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate- server 2016, 2012 (MCSA)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
Apart from the technical expertise, you will need to have the following skills to become successful in this field.
- They should have exceptional communication skills
- Outstanding troubleshooting skills
- Outcomes Oriented – Successfully manage a set of responsibilities through until its completion
- The team focused on – Capability to work successfully with varied natures
- Engineers should have this critical skill to works well under pressure
- They should have the capacity to work with and take guidance from an allocated project manager
- They should be able to operate self-sufficiently from home office as well when required
- They should perform the service delivery documentation for the user manuals
- Engineers must know about the typical office package to deal with the routine task
The average salary estimate of Windows Server Engineer as per ZipRecruiter is $87000 per annum. Working as part-time can be a superb option too. In the telecom arena, top freelance marketplaces like Fieldengineer.com provides the best platform for freelancers in this field.
How Effective is Field Engineer
FieldEngineer.com provides one of the best platforms for freelance opportunities to this field. By leveraging your experience in this field will be of great value. So, sign up with Fieldengineer.com to get in touch with business and reap the benefits mutually.