Windows Server Engineer
A Windows Server Engineer is an IT professional who bears the tasks to maintain, establish, and troubleshoot the server issues. Windows servers are one of the most used servers across the organization for their IT support. They help to monitor, test and resolve server related queries to their client or company.
They provide support for IT infrastructure services on all hosted windows operating system flavors from Windows 2003 to Windows 2016. Engineers work proactively within a team on requests created in ticketing tools. Hosting servers in cloud computing have already hit the IT and telecom market.
In cloud computing, the Windows Server Engineers responsibilities include hosting and maintaining the server system virtually. Windows Server Engineers are involved in the upkeep of the server to a cloud computing service such as Azure, AWS, and VMware. Furthermore, Windows Server Engineers leverage the benefits of cloud-hosted windows server as its more reliable and more accessible to scale up.
Windows Server Engineer Responsibilities
Windows Server Engineer responsibilities are vital to every organization as they are one of the critical positions. It can be catastrophic if the windows server doesn’t respond during peak time.
Windows Server Engineers provide end-to-end solutions to the stakeholders, while keeping in mind the IT security policy. Windows Server Engineers must possess a broad understanding of hardware and software technology and its application in the business environment including datacenter establishment.
Windows Server Engineers suggest improvements for hardware and computer software development and its affordability. These engineers retain the production change control plan and contribute to change control.
Their main job profile involves designing and implementing computer systems, both software and network. Server professional ensures that the computer system responds efficiently to support the requirements of an organization.
The following are the core Windows Server Engineer responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain windows platform for the server as a host, connected with multiple clients (other computers)
- Test and certify new versions of windows operating system providing better solution and integration for the application like VMware and SharePoint.
- Integrate the server automation process either by custom scripts or via third-party solutions.
- Implement regular checks for the status of servers including hardware and software.
- Maintain and support multi-site windows environment along with hardware and software configuration.
- Management of server migration when required by the client.
- Understanding of LAN/WAN/VLAN, TCP/IP, UDP
Windows Systems or server engineers keep the computer networking system in an office setting by tracing server action, executes upgrades of software, maintains the computer system, which addresses the queries about technical issues, and improves the effectiveness by assessing computer network functions.
The engineers finalize most of the work during normal business hours. Sometimes, with new system upgrades or server fixes, engineers complete the task through odd hours of the evening or on holidays.
Windows Engineer Server Qualifications
Engineers of Windows server are of the most critical position and to be a success in this you will need to have a primary degree in computer science, IT, electronics and related field. A deep understanding of Windows 2008, windows server 2012 and SCCM along with large-scale server management.
Most businesses’ seek server engineers who have some combination of education and skill. Usually, engineers who have worked their way to top from a lower position and have gained professional certification will successfully get accepted for upper positions.
Windows Engineer Server Certifications
Following are the essential certifications in this windows environment
- CompTIA Server+
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate- server 2016, 2012 (MCSA)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
Window Server Engineer Responsibilities
Apart from the technical expertise, Windows Engineer Servers will need to have the following skills to become successful in this field.
- Exceptional communication skills
- Outstanding troubleshooting skills
- Outcomes Oriented – Successfully manage a set of responsibilities until its completion
- Team Player with a capability to work successfully with various personalities
- Work well under pressure
- Receive guidance & feedback from an allocated project manager
- Operate self-sufficiently from home office as well when required
- Perform the service delivery documentation for the user manuals
Window Server Engineer Salary Outlook
The average salary estimate of Windows Server Engineer according to ZipRecruiter is $87000 annually. Working as part-time can be a superb option too. In Telecom, top freelance marketplaces like Field Engineer provides the best platform for Windows Server Engineer freelancers and other engineers in this field.
Hire Freelance Window Server Engineers
Field Engineer is a global marketplace for talented engineers seeking jobs and businesses searching for qualified candidates. By connecting IT service providers and telecommunications businesses with a global pool of talented and skilled freelance engineers, companies can reduce their costs and increase their profit margins while freelancers can apply their talents on a short-term or even telecommute basis. Sign up for free today!
Read more about the 5 most common questions people have about Field Engineer
Become a Freelance Windows Server Engineer
Discover the benefits and ease of contingent employees yourself on Field Engineer. FE is a user-friendly platform for engineers as well as businesses, in just a few clicks you will become a part of a global network of over 40,000 on-demand workers. Sign up today for free!