Most people who work in IT have worked or are currently a remote worker. IT support technicians spend their days coming to the aid of confused, frustrated, and helpless businesses and individuals who are in desperate need of IT repair. In the last twenty or so years, working online has become practically mandatory across most industries. With this change comes the need for more qualified, experienced IT support engineers. They can accommodate the needs of all IT systems across the board.
What Is Remote Working?
Remote working means you work outside of a purpose-built office space that accommodates your company. Field engineers, construction workers, childcare specialists, and home nurses, to name a few, all come under the umbrella of remote workers. Since the COVID-19 pandemic, many companies that used to work out of an office now have remote workers who do their jobs from home. This is a cost-effective way of working but does provide some challenges too.
Benefits of Remote Working
There are numerous awesome benefits to remote working! Here are some of the key benefits:
- Choosing Your Routine. If you are someone who enjoys your freedom and not feeling tied down, remote working is for you. Working in your own space means that, as long as you complete your work to a high standard and attend mandatory meetings on time, your time is yours to organize.
- Saving Time and Money. Commuting to work is one of the biggest drags of office life, particularly if you live in a big city. Spending a lot of money and time on trains or your work car can be tiring and draining for your health and your bank account. Working at home allows you more sleep and more time to yourself.
- Your Well being. Being able to spend your lunch breaks in your garden, cooking your own food, and cultivating an office space at home are all ways to improve your well being. If you find office life stressful and you feel downtrodden, try remote working as a serious change of scene. You will feel calmer, more balanced, and freer.
Staying In Touch With Virtual Teammates
Although you’re working remotely in your own space, if you’re part of a team, it’s very important to stay in touch. Especially as an IT professional, it’s essential you stay in touch and up to date with your team’s movements. Here are some tips to help with this:
- Virtual meetings via Zoom or a similar platform. These are amazing to keep the team morale going and to stay up to date with everyone’s work. If you work for a larger company, although you work alone in a remote space, it’s vital you stay on top of the company’s policies and customer service rules. Especially as an IT technician, if you visit customers’ homes or workspaces as part of your job, keeping in touch with your team can help troubleshoot any issues you come across.
- Using Discord, WhatsApp, or another group chat device. In the day-to-day running of things, you may come across small problems that you are unsure of. In this case, it’s very useful to use a social media chat platform such as Discord or WhatsApp to keep in touch and fire quick questions to the team for guidance.
Statistics About Remote Working
If remote work sounds like it’s the right thing for you, here are some stats to convince you further!
Did You Know...
- According to Flex Jobs, ‘Between 2005 to 2017, there was a 159% increase in remote work. In 2015, 3.9 million U.S. workers were working remotely. Today that number is at 4.7 million, or 3.4% of the population.
- Remote working is becoming a non-negotiable option for most U.S. citizens. ‘Eighty percent of U.S. workers say they would turn down a job that didn’t offer flexible working,’ says Flex Jobs!
- Remote working lowers job stress and increases productivity! 80% of remote workers experience less job stress than non-remote, and 90% said that more flexible arrangements would boost morale.
Essentials For Remote Workers
Some must-haves for remote workers are:
- A private office space. Even if it’s a spare bedroom or a private living room, having the space to complete your work without distractions is vital.
- Comfortable furnishings. You can develop back problems without these!
Remote work is an excellent option for many people who seek better work-life balance and wish to cultivate their own routines to suit them!