Network Security Engineers: The Nitty-Gritty
In the era of the digital world, a network security engineer is one of the vital member of any large or mid-sized organization. He is a professional involved in positioning, configuration, provisioning and administration of several different pieces of network and security related hardware and software. Network Security engineers are usually involved in security aspect of the networking system. Safeguarding the organization’s network in line with business goals or objective is quintessential for network engineers.
A robust security protocol needs to be followed by the engineers and team for best precautionary measures from any threats. A network security engineer must have the multi-pronged background which includes the information security, technology networking attributes.
How to become a Network Security Engineer?
The job of network security engineer is highly technical and employers expects you to have a basic degree in computer science followed by specialized certification as a boost to the career. Some of the pertinent examples of Network Security Engineer Certifications are:
- CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional
- CISM: Certified Information Security Manager
- CompTIA Security+
- GSEC: SANS GIAC Security Essentials
- Cisco CCIE Security
- Juniper Networks JNCIE Security
- Palo Alto Networks Certified Network Security Engineer (PCNSE)
Network Security Engineer Job Description:
A network security engineer does a multi-faceted occupation in the ever growing cyber battlefront. Out of their job spectrum following are the most important responsibilities performed by them:
- Maintaining LAN, WLAN and architecture of the server as per the business policy
- As a precautionary measure, analyze and implement new security protocols for greater efficiency against any sort of threat or malfunctions
- Implementation of virus detection system before hand for sound safety.
- Resolving the existing security issue including hardware malfunctions
- Tracking the vulnerable scripts to avert the potential threats
- Generating and maintaining the virtual private network, firewalls, web protocols and email security decorum.
- Reporting the security analysis of findings
- Maintaining the regulatory systems with regard to ISMS policy (Information System Management Systems)
- Investigations of Security breach alert
- Developing the security authentication protocol
- Maintaining server and switches
- Maintaining & implementation of the SOP for Network security
- Status reports of hardware and softwares products as per designated policies.
- Supervising the installation of new software’s and hardware’s
- Recommend modifications in legal, technical and regulatory areas that affect IT security.
- Knowledge of performing routing protocols (MPLS, HAIPE/IP, QOS and WAN)
- Monitoring of web security gateways, perimeter security , network access controls, endpoint security
With the rise of constantly evolving threats from hackers one can see the adoption of IoT (Internet of things). As a network security engineer, IoT field also has a huge demand for the specialist. The demand for the employees is projected to rise to 6 million, worldwide by 2019, with an anticipated shortfall of 1.5 million. Possible future career paths are Security architect, security engineer, security manager, security consultant.
Network Security Engineer Salary:
According to Paysa, a Network Security Engineer earns an average of $89,215 per annum depending on their experience level and other factors. At times their job requires traveling from one site to other on demand of organization to oversee the replacement of obsolete equipment, installation of system architecture.
Nowadays, freelance network security engineers are also in much demand as they are readily available in the freelance global marketplace. An organization can reap the benefits by utilizing the freelancers keeping in mind the short term scope and cost-effectiveness, which can be a win-win situation for both.
FieldEngineer platform is the world’s largest online marketplace for Network Security Engineers who are looking for freelance jobs hiring near them. Sign up to become one of them and find the perfect job opportunities to work for yourself.