IT Security Operations Engineer
The entire world relies on computer hardware and software. IT Security Operation Engineers are IT professionals who protect an organization’s computers, networks, software, hardware and data from malware and cyber-attacks, whether these components exist onsite on in the field. Essentially, IT Security operations Engineers oversee the design and development of an organization’s IT infrastructure and its security standards.
Engineers further help design, build and support an organization’s core security infrastructure and their information security processes. Their primary objective is to secure data and information by protecting IT systems, and by keeping computer systems and network devices resilient against all forms of cyber-attacks.
One of the most important responsibilities of any organization is to create a secure environment, and they do so with the aid of both in-house and field IT engineers.
IT Security Operations Engineering Job Description
IT security risks have grown as the digital economy has grown. Part of an IT security operations engineering job description, involves the planning, updating and maintenance of the security measures, defenses, and counteractions to stop and avoid internal and external occurrences on computer systems.
As a security operations engineer, the security-service range should be followed on the day in and out.
Usually, they lead the case response work, ensuring that different occurrences are focused to completion and that the correct resources are brought into line to provide the total quality of the company’s security response system.
The IT Security Operations Engineering job description includes the following important responsibilities:
- To manage penetration testing of both applications and infrastructure
- To perform susceptibility scans and manage the resolution of threats
- To assess Software as a Service (SaaS) products for security compliance
- To manage security applications, such as GDPR
- To conduct periodic user access control verifications
- To develop and maintain security monitoring, logging and auditing
- To install required security patches and updates for a wide range of applications.
- To monitor system security relating to resiliency, malware intrusion, and patching
- To assess technical controls and identify areas of improvement
- To serve as technical security leads for large complex projects that involve cross-functional teams
- To conduct systems testing to ensure that critical vulnerabilities become identified
The IT security operation engineer is comparatively new job name, with the tasks and possibility still in fluctuation. The focus is on quality control within the domain of IT & telecom infrastructure. It comprises planning, structure and cyber defense scalability, secure, and strong systems. Security engineer is wholly focused on the working of adequate data center arrangements and networks which helps the organization.
Additionally, the IT Security Operations Engineering job description entails understanding the growing cyber threats in order to help craft plans to protect those networks so that organizational networks are free from viruses. Hence the downtime is brought to nil by the use of updated security software.
Educational and Certification Requirements
IT Security Operations Engineers must have a degree in Computer Science or Information Technology with an emphasis on security control. Also desirable is a certificate in the field of Security Operations. Employers are currently seeking freelance engineers with certifications such as SSCP, CISSP, CISA, CISM, CEH, and OSCP.
To become a successful IT security operations engineer, you need to have the right skills which outline the technical and general skills necessary as well as any certificates or degrees which a company might assume for an information security engineer should have. Following are the key technical skills include:
- The engineer should have the capability in anti-virus software, interruption recognition, firewalls, and content filters
- They should know threat assessment tools, skills, and procedures
- Proficiency in planning secure networks, computer systems, and application architectures
- Plan for disaster rescue, system tools, expertise and techniques
- Preparation, investigating and increasing security policies, criteria, and ways
- The system management, assisting several platforms and applications
- Skilled with cellular code, malicious code, and anti-virus software
- They should be able to maintain the log system for various kind of cyber-attacks on the organizational network.
- They should use endpoint security solutions, comprising file integrity monitoring and data loss avoidance
- They should facilitate the organization with the secure cloud computing platform
As per ZipRecruiter, the average annual salary for IT Security Operations Engineers in the U.S. is $148,499 per year. Experienced freelancers in the field can enjoy not only a variety of exciting opportunities, but they can also have tremendous earning potential.
Our Platform-Field Engineer
In the Freelance Marketplace, a field engineering job offers an excellent opportunity for freelance IT Security Operations Engineers to gain exposure. Our platform provides lots of flexibility, which can greatly enhance your earning potential. Those interested in exciting careers as IT Security Operations Engineers should register at www.FieldEngineer.com.
Already more than 40,000+ Engineers from over 180 countries have registered on the site, and they are right now successfully connecting with organizations who are looking for skilled people like you.