Fiber Optics Technician
A Fiber Optics Technician is a professional who works in the Telecommunication industry, in short, they are the backbone to have the business up and running. Fiber Optics Technicians install and repair fiber optic cables as per the needs of the organization or at given field site.
A fiber optics is the critical technology that uses thread and glasses as a means of transmitting the data. Fiber optics have massive digital data transmission capacity rather than metal cables. They work in residential areas, businesses, schools, and more, maintaining and fixing cables installed as needed to keep them working correctly.
Typically, they are also known as fiber network technician and fiber network field technician. Fiber optics technicians can work in a variety of buildings, from large to multi-story office buildings to small houses. Following are the official responsibilities as a part of Fiber Technician Job description:
- Setting up, troubleshoot, and retaining all fiber optic systems in businesses, private home, universities, and other administrations to ensure that they are working correctly.
- Evaluation tests and repairing old or malfunctioning wires along with maintenance.
- Technicians cut and splice fiber optic cables, locate problem areas to fix.
- Generating sensors and executing inspections to make sure that the fiber optic systems do not have faults that could destabilize performance.
- Conduct regular inspections of the systems repair any defects.
- Performing premises cabling and running fiber optic cables underground and underwater.
- Measure the signal strength of television, telephone, and internet connections to ensure adequate performance.
- Preparing and maintaining records and diagrams.
Engaging a Certified Fiber Optics Technician can make a lot of difference to your business. Either full time or as a Freelance, both have a considerable potential to flourish well in the global marketplace. The top certification is FOA CFOT. Another certification is called ETA (Electronics Technician Association).
FOA (Fiber Optics Association): is the international professional society for fiber optics. The FOA CFOT® is the most sought certification for Fiber Optics Technician and has sub-certifications.
Types of FOA Certifications
- CFOT: ‘Certified Fiber Optics Technician’ verifies that you have an overall knowledge of fiber optics useful to any condition.
- CPCT: ‘Certified Premises Cabling Technician’ displays skills in the installation of fiber, copper, wireless in the campus or organization’s building network. Such certification is commended for professionals working in enterprise networks (viz. LAN) for better security management systems
- CFOS: ‘Certified Fiber Optics Specialist.’ It has two subtypes: skills-based (deals with installation and testing of fiber optics cable) and application- based (deals with the specific application of fiber optic cabling).
As per payscale, an average salary for Fiber Optics Technician ranges from $30,951 to $74,721 per annum depending on maturity level. Working as part-time can be a great opportunity concerning rewards and gaining the enhancement to the career.
Field Engineer, The Better Choice
If you are looking for freelance opportunities, you can find or get what you are searching for as a freelancer in a Top Freelance Marketplace like FieldEngineer.com where you can showcase your skills and establish your experience to advance your career. Sign up at FieldEngineer.com right away to start your journey as an fiber optics technicain in the global freelance marketplace! With more than 40,000+ freelancers from over 180 countries, Field Engineer is the one-stop solution for all of your freelancing needs.