AWS Certified Specialty
The AWS Certified Specialty provides deep and meaningful insights into security measures relating to Amazon Web Services. It’s essentially a course that teaches engineers how to master the AWS platform and keep it as secure as can be.
People who pass this course can become AWS Certified Specialists, which opens the door to many different freelance job opportunities. Amazon Web Services is one of the most widely used cloud computing services in the world. As a result, the demand for security specialists is growing day by day.
Job Descriptions & Responsibilities
The job responsibilities of an AWS Certified Specialist differ depending on the company you’re working for. However, the primary duties are all the same, and the focus is firmly rooted around the different security principles of this cloud computing services.
A typical job description will look like this:
- Have an understanding of AWS data protection and how to classify data
- Know how to encrypt data using various methods on AWS
- Spend time using AWS mechanisms to implement secure internet protocols
- Full and detailed knowledge of updated AWS security services and features
- Make numerous tradeoff decisions relating to cost, security, and deployment based on application needs
- Thorough understanding of all the security risks and operations centered on AWS
How Beneficial is AWS Certified Specialty to Professionals?
AWS Certified Specialty is incredibly beneficial to existing field engineers and technicians as it helps you develop new skills. Not only that, but it’s a way to get your foot in the door and find new freelance jobs. There’s a demand from SMBs for AWS Certified Security Specialists, and the average salaries are more than impressive across the board.
Skills & Qualifications
To earn the AWS Certified Speciality, you must possess the following skills and educational qualifications:
- Minimum of 5 years of IT security experience
- 2 years minimum handling AWS workloads
- Knowledge of all the security controls on AWS
- AWS Solutions Architect Associate degree or equivalent
Certification & Other Equivalents
This certification is one of the most popular and sought after cloud computer certificates out there right now. It displays you have detailed knowledge of all security operations regarding AWS.
There are a few equivalents that show off the same knowledge, but for different platforms:
- Cisco Certified Network Professional Cloud
- MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure
- VCP7-CMA: VMware Certified Professional 7 - Cloud Management and Automation
There are plenty of AWS Certified Specialist jobs out there for you to choose from. Some are full-time, and others are freelance. They include the following:
- Security Engineer
- IT Architect
- Information Security Analyst
- IT Security Specialist
- Network Engineer
- Cloud Engineer
- Software Architect
The benefits of pursuing this as a freelance career are clear. For one, you don’t put a limit on how much money you can earn as a freelancer. You’re able to find multiple jobs for many different SMBs, diversifying your workload. Plus, it’s a more flexible approach to work as you’re not confined to one place and made to work specific hours.
As per Indeed, you can earn anywhere between $82, 536 and $141,282 per year with the AWS Certified Specialty. The more experience you gain, the more you will be paid for your services.
How FieldEngineer.com Can Help
Here at FieldEngineer.com, we help connect you with multiple freelance opportunities. Register an account today, and you will be notified of all the relevant job opportunities near you. We operate in over 180 countries, helping more than 40,000 freelance engineers find their dream roles.