The Network Controller?
A network controller, also known as a network control operator or network control technician, is a tech specialist who monitors the overall engineering infrastructure of an organization. They continuously plan, design, and evaluate to ensure network performance is not compromised. The main job of a network control operator is to maintain the network through keeping a close eye on the performance of the network as well as manages issues through routine troubleshooting. If the problems lie within a complex network, they do advanced troubleshooting. They work closely with an engineering team to provide network architecture design and recommend new technologies to enhance current performance.
Responsibilities of a Network Control Technician
The ideal job role is to monitor, operate, manage, troubleshoot, and maintain the services related to data communication network and ensure it is accessible to all the system users. Additional work competencies include:
- Supervise the company’s network systems.
- Oversee local and wide area networks linked to various computer platforms, operating systems, network capabilities, and topologies.
- Install network systems to maintain connectivity of systems and sources.
- Monitor network issues and troubleshoot when necessary.
- Actively look for network elements and alerts that can hamper quality.
- Manage complex network systems, provide ongoing troubleshooting, and assist in performance problems.
- Review daily tickets and ensure assigned cases are resolved in a timely fashion.
- Respond, troubleshoot, and resolve assigned cases.
Education Requirements of the Network Controller
A bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, communication systems, or other related computer fields is imperative in becoming a network control technician. Educational training should cover the extensive range of topics related to computers, networks, routers, firewalls, and other information related to network and computer’s infrastructure.
Job Skills and Requirements
A network controller’s overall responsibilities include participating in day-to-day maintenance of the network such as hardware support, software support, troubleshooting, and checking the quality of network transmissions. The skill set encompasses the following:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Cisco, Juniper, Microsoft, or other IT certification.
- Expert understanding of network topologies, operating systems, system backups, IP routing, and firewalls.
- Comprehensive knowledge on troubleshooting of complex network features.
- The ability to design, plan, and implement data connectivity of LAN, WAN and software-defined WAN systems.
- The capability to control and manage network performance through various resources.
- Identification and resolution of complex problems within the network without compromising performance.
- Have working experience in installation, configuration, and maintenance of system hardware and software.
- Have strong organizational, interpersonal, and collaboration abilities.
Full-Time Network Controller Salary Versus Freelance Salary
According to Paysa, the salary range of a full-time network control specialist is between $24 and $28 per hour with the average on the lower end of the range at $24 per hour. When comparing this to the average network controller salary for a freelancer, the hourly pay raises to $31 per hour. Freelance network specialists have many advantages over individuals employed by companies. For example, they are not bound to work within a specified time frame and thus have more flexibility in terms of salary and timings. Additionally, depending on the requirements of the project, a freelancer can extend their work hours, giving them an advantage.
Available Positions in the Field
- Network Control Center Manager –
Participates proactively in incident response and service management for the elimination of operational impact to the users. They examine the transmission service function of the network to ensure the smooth connectivity. If any problem arises related to the transmission quality, they must analyze and resolve it quickly.
- Network Control Center Supervisor –
Responsible for supervising all the routine activities of network control technicians. They monitor installation, operation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of the network. They also work closely with the recovery team to resolve the problems related to the installation and quality of the network.
- Network Engineer –
Highly skilled technology professional who is expert in maintaining the connectivity of network communications. Ensures all systems are working properly. A network engineer possess good knowledge of computers, internet, routers, firewalls, and switches and can assist in network architecture design.
- Network Administrator –
Maintains the computer’s network infrastructure. They are responsible for monitoring, installing, and updating security programs so the data networks are efficiently maintained. Job roles vary depending on organization size and location with their main task to monitor the network closely and carry out necessary updates.
- Network Planning Analyst –
The primary responsibility of a network planning analyst is to create the strategic design for the overall network and related projects. Apart from the strategic input, they also have to review, plan, and evaluate network systems.
With the rising technologies like cloud service and software-defined networks, there is a huge demand for network technicians to take care of organizational networks. Security teams are losing visibility of network due to the advancement of technologies. Network technicians support this through monitoring network systems closely to maintain performance. The future of the networking field lies in the hands of network control operators with careers in both freelance and full-time positions. Fieldengineer.com allows freelancers to build their portfolios and bid on projects that suit their profile. Users can get payments instantly after the completion of projects. Simply download the FieldEngineer app from the app store and stay connected with the prospective clients on the go.