The VMware NSX Engineer is an IT professional trained to effectively integrate and implement the VMware NSX security platform within a hybrid cloud infrastructure. It is the NSX Engineer’s duty to provide expertise in all aspects of network technology security for a VMware virtualized environment.
VMware is the global leader in the platform virtualization software and services industry. From desktop support to data center solutions, VMware provides businesses and organizations with the essential resources needed to maintain and fully utilize software-defined networks.
VMware NSX Engineers deliver this service by applying their extensive knowledge of the network hypervisor, the platform used to deploy virtual networks. Since the introduction of NSX in 2017, Engineers have the unique ability to simultaneously implement security measures through the use of security groups that target multiple VMs (Virtual Machines). This results in the increased safety and productivity of a business’s VMware virtualized network environment.
VMware NSX Engineer Job Description:
The standard responsibilities of a VMware NSX Engineer include:
- Providing security and network support for physical networking and firewall services.
- Ensuring network reliability and availability through well-planned and implemented solutions
- Delivering network and security infrastructures
- Developing, maintaining, and supporting networks in NSX/NSX-T
- Implementing networking and VXLAN technologies
- Monitoring the automation of network deployment and configuration, along with the integration of infrastructure (computer/storage) automation
- Configuring and monitoring network security layers
- Monitoring integration with other software-defined networking technologies
- Improving network manageability and scalability
- Supporting the operations and maintenance of the VMware virtual infrastructure
- Maintaining VMware vROps and reporting for confirmation, troubleshooting, and capacity planning.
- Improving customized outlines using NSX, vRA, and vRO to automate and simplify tasks
- Duplicating virtual machines and server appliances.
- Backing up virtual machines and supporting virtual machine infrastructure.
Education and Certifications:
To become a VMware NSX Engineer, it is preferred that you have a degree in computer science, Information Technology, or another related field and have earned one or more industry-standard certifications. Certifications that will make your application stand out include:
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP)
In addition to the certifications listed above, knowledge of VXLANs, vSAN, and other software-defined networking technologies will enhance your value as an IT professional and provide you with more career advancement opportunities in the future.
VMware NSX Engineer Salary:
According to indeed, the average salary for a VMware NSX Engineer ranges from $47,660 to $116,601 per year, depending on background and experience.
One Stop Solution by FieldEngineer.com
Are you interested in becoming a freelancer? Sign up at FieldEngineer.com right way to start your journey as an IT professional in the global freelance marketplace! With more than 35,000+ freelancers from over 170 countries, FieldEngineer.com is the one-stop solution for all of your freelancing needs. Promising career opportunities specifically tailored to your professional experiences are just one click away.
Join the community and get in touch with companies looking for the brightest talent in the information technology industry!