A Teletypewriter (TTY) Installer is a professional who installs and repairs telegraphic transmitting and receiving equipment. A teletypewriter is known as an electromechanical typewriter meant for point-to-point communication. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics, a Teletypewriter Installer falls into the category of telecommunication equipment installer (telex).
A teletypewriter is also known as a teletype machine, teleprinter, or just a teletype. The installer adjusts the features, link the proper interface, and fix minor troubles. They will occasionally inspect, lubricate, and clean the terminal during a service interval for better functionality. Some companies have replaced the teleprinter with electronic computer terminals.
Teletypewriter Installer Job Description:
The technician installs, repairs, and maintains the teleprinter machine. These machines play an essential part in maintaining communication between different locations. Telecom companies use the machine to facilitate interaction between people and organizations. Some of the essential job responsibilities of the installer include:
- Ensure the telephone and line connections are in working condition
- Perform station testing after the installation of the machine
- Install the teletype machine per the diagram
- Install the ribbon and paper in the teleprinter
- Troubleshoot the teleprinter machine for any faulty connection
- To install the friction feed paper supply assembly if desired by the customer
- Perform regular maintenance of the teleprinter
- Check and verify the telephone system and its wire system connection with the data set
- Analyze issues and repair manual and automatic teletypewriters, facsimile-recording devices, and switching equipment
- Test and adjust equipment by using testing devices
- Document the error log sheet and its resolution to the customer
An installer should have a high school diploma or equivalent to start in the field. Employers also look for candidates who have experience handling and repairing electromechanical devices.
Teletypewriter Installer Salary:
In the United States as per salary report, the average salary of an installer is around $54,477 per year. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the job outlook should grow by four percent from 2016 to 2026. This is slower than other telecommunication professions. They are still in demand throughout the telecom industry.
How FieldEngineer.com Can Help Your Career:
If you are searching for job opportunities in the global freelance marketplace, you need to sign up for FieldEngineer.com. You can find the right opportunity that will meet your requirements. FieldEngineer.com provides a one-stop solution for more than 35,000+ job seekers from over 170 countries. You can become a part of the team. FieldEngineer.com can help you get in touch with companies looking for the brightest talent.