A teletype called as an electromechanical typewriter. It helps in exchange of typed messages through a simple electrical communications network used for the communication. A Teletype technician is a trained professional who takes care for service or repair of Teletype machine and other communication equipment for clients either at the field or on-site.
The technician installs and repair telegraphic transmission and receiving equipment, following floor plan sketches and wiring diagrams. Teletype is known as Teletypewriter.
In the earlier days, these types of machines were in use for interconnection.
The primary duties are to assist in installation, removal, maintain, troubleshoot, and fix electromechanical telephone key systems/PBAXs along with teletype computer terminals. Sometimes they may operate with crew truck to and from client sites.
Apart from above following are the essential responsibilities of a technician:
- Identify, monitor, report, and resolve telecom’s product related issues
- Assist in receiving, sends and disperses information using teletype NCIC/FCIC computer terminals
- Repair and fix the computer terminal issue
- Processes telephone calls and radio requests
- Operates specialized and secure radio, computer, and telephone equipment
- May be required to coordinate service and other related external
requests for dispatch to the scene of emergencies.
- Maintain a precise and factual radio log
- Maintain properly filed teletype record
- Maintain a service log
- Maintain a maintenance unit status log
- Maintain a log of time checks given to turnpike DPS units
- Monitor scan-cast system and update maintenance personnel of same
- Monitor and program for traffic information
- Determine and fix the issue with switchboard
A minimum of a High School diploma or equivalent is required in the telecom field. Experience in handling the repair of the electromechanical device will help your career.
Teletype Technician Salary:
According to the salary report for the US market, the average earning is $54,477. As per the bureau of labor statistics (BLS), the job outlook is predicted to grow four percent from 2016 to 2026. It is slower than any other average occupation. However, their demand is not less as they help in technical aspects of the telecom industry.
How FieldEngineer.com can help
If you are in search to get engaged as a Freelancer in this field, then sign up for FieldEngineer.com. a global telecom freelance field service marketplace to find the right opportunity tailored to your needs. The platform also provides business with a one-stop solution for hiring contingent telecom workforce from over 170 countries.