The aspiring professional or newcomer, everyone wants to know what is a Systems Engineer. Systems engineering is an interdisciplinary turf of engineering and engineering management that centers around on how to design and manage composite systems over their life cycles. The systems engineer plays a vital role in the multi-dimensional computer world. Primarily they define the customer’s or stakeholder’s needs and essential functionality in the early stages of product or service development cycle.
It is a methodical, disciplined approach to the design, realization, and technical management. At the core, Systems Engineer helps in coordination of different teams, testing, and evaluation for the development of design and its implementation for the best output.
Systems Engineer deals with work process, optimization methods, and risk management tools in the given projects for the successful accomplishments as per stakeholder’s requirements. The systems engineering process falls into following broad category:
A System Engineer Technical process: Integration of computer and its network under IT procedure falls under this scope. Mostly all technical issues or resolution are taken care of by this classification.
A System Engineering Management process: the goal of the management process is to organize the technical effort in their lifecycle.
Systems Engineer Job Description:
Systems Engineers carry out a variety of task. One may have the interest to know what does a systems engineer do. They implement and maintain the computer system for the respective business to be in line with the organization’s guidelines or SOP (Standards Operating Procedure). Following are the official duties as a part of Systems Engineer Job Description:
- Monitoring and managing all installed systems and infrastructure.
- Establish, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools.
- The Setting, installing testing and maintaining operating systems, application software and system management tools.
- Evaluate the existing systems and provide the technical direction to IT support staff.
- Oversee the development of customized software and hardware requirement.
- Plan and implement systems automation as required for better efficiency.
- Formulate and design the security system in place to maintain data safety.
- Oversee the constant availability of technical resources.
- Maintain and supervise the inventory.
- Timely reporting on the log sheet for the rapid response to any glitches.
Education and experience for Systems Engineer:
Systems Engineers usually hold a degree in computer science or allied field viz. software engineering. They should be proficient in data architecture and programming. Apart from an essential degree, a Systems Engineer is required to have knowledge and experience in:
- Performance tuning of application stacks viz. Tomcat, JBoss, Apache, Ruby, NGINX
- Good cloud experience especially in AWS (amazon web service)
- Experience with virtualization viz. VMware, Virtual Box
- Network experience viz. TCP/IP
Systems Engineer Salary:
When it comes to salary, it’s comparatively standard and at par in the IT arena. As per payscale, for a full- time professional, an average salary of Systems Engineer ranges from $50,276 to $106,179 per annum. Median salary is around $72,450.
Working as part-time can be a great option concerning rewards and gaining the boost to the career. In the Global Freelance Marketplace, FieldEngineer delivers the best platform for Freelance System Engineers to seek work and gain experience by working on-demand.