What is SDN Certification, Salary, Cost and More?
SDN standards for software-defined networking. These networking certifications will boost your salary capabilities and allow you to apply for more exciting opportunities. Many people wonder if certification is worth the time and cost in the short and long term. It is worth noting that almost all job roles would like to see the certificate. It is a validation of your knowledge and experience.
What are the Types of SDN Certifications?
There are several certification options:
Brocade Network Functions Virtualisation Certification
NFV certification is focused on Brocade Vyatta vRouter and Brocade Vyatta Virtual ADX (vADX). A web-based Brocade Certified vRouter Engineer course coves Brocade Vyatta vRouter installation, configuration, and troubleshooting.
Open Networking Foundation SDN Certification
The Open Networking Foundation is the company behind the OpenFlow standard; this is the structure that many software-defined networks are based on. ONF-Certified SDN Associate and ONF-Certified SDN Engineer.
Cisco SDN Certifications
There are four options for SDN certifications for specialists. These are designed for network engineers, designers, and network app developers.
- Cisco Network Programmability Engineer Specialist: These engineers can install, implement, and troubleshoot network infrastructures. They can also deploy network applications. Requirements for this certification are CCIE or CCNP certification.
- Cisco Network Programmability Design Specialist: These engineers have the ability to designing architectures and apps for deployment. They must comprehend how to gather customer requirements, turn them into functional specs, design, and infrastructure—creating proofs of concept. Requirements for this certification are CCIE or CCNP certification.
- Cisco Network Programmability Developer Specialist: These software programmers can develop the network applications layer for extensive infrastructures. This covers data centers, academia, as well as service providers. Candidates should understand the Open Daylight Controller (ODL) Cisco One Platform Kit (onePK), and APICs - application policy infrastructure controllers. Programming experience in Python, C, and other languages suitable to open networking too. Requirements for this certification: CCIE or CCNA certification.
- Cisco Business Application Engineer Specialist: These engineers design and build business applications for deployment in an open network environment. Applicants understand how to incorporate APIs into applications for network information collection. Requirements for this certification: None.
Why Should You do SDN Certification?
When working for any amount of time in a discipline, it is preferable to have your skills and knowledge certified. There are many perks for getting SDN certified:
- Sets you apart from the competition in your field
- Can be checked off the list of personal and professional milestones and accomplishments
- Gaining certification shows that you value personal and professional development.
- Shows that you have invested in your career long-term and that you are dedicated to the career path
- You will often see a salary increase due to your knowledge and experience being certified by a professional body
- Shows understanding and expertise in the principles and practice of analytics
- Demonstrates your commitment to the industry
SDN Certification Career Path
You might be wondering which job positions are available to you once you are SDN certified. You can get connected with a browse range of exiting engineering roles on FieldEngineer - as well as browse the blog for a range of informative articles.
Here are Some of the Career Paths Possible with SDN Certification:
Storage Administrator: As storage solutions evolve and use SDN more, you will make decisions about data while it is moving, ultimately offering more control in the long-term.
QA / Test Engineer: In this role, you will plan, coordinate, and/or test the application of SDNs. This will include traditional responsibilities like writing test cases and analyzing their results.
Software Engineer: As a software engineer you will write code for controller apps, switches, as well as develop and maintain networking stacks.
SDN Certification Cost
Cisco: $150.00. ONF members will receive a 10% discount.
Additional fees for remote proctoring may be assessed.
ONF: Pricing is $150 for the Associate exam, $240 for the Engineer exam. ONF members will receive a 10% discount for the Associate exam and a 25% discount for the Engineer exam.
Brocade: Candidates need to create a Brocade profile on Certifior to register for exams. Each certification exam costs $150 per attempt.
SDN Certification Salary Expectations
According to Cisco partner Global Knowledge, here are the top-earning and most popular Cisco certifications.
- CCDA: Cisco Certified Design Associate — $120,139
- CCNP Routing and Switching — $108,646
- CCNA Routing and Switching — $101,441
- CCNA Security — $101,411
- CCENT: Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician — $83,057
SDN Certification is a great idea if you want to more forward in your career and demonstrate your depth of knowledge and experience.