Consulting Network Engineer
The Consulting Network Engineer is responsible for network and server support, as well as troubleshooting. This professional will be working in collaboration with clients and systems. They will provide the technical assistance required for the workstation, server installation, and system maintenance. He/she will work at the remote helpdesk and will look into internet connectivity, and other network-wide issues.
The network engineer should design and implement network changes. The professionals have to provide network design and engineering guidance to the clients. They must look into any issues related to performance and security of the network. It is the Consulting Engineer who should recognize chances to leverage process and network automation to improve work efficiency.
The professional is responsible for the integration of new technologies. They should work in coordination with the vendors to look into the product design enhancements. The network engineer must have a good understanding of system architecture and tiered application modules. They will have to take care of the end-to-end data flows and traffic patterns as well.
The Consulting Network Engineer’s responsibilities include utilizing all available resources to offer client-focused solutions as well as troubleshooting any issues and new functionality requests. This Network Engineer could complete the work both from a central office location or at the property, depending on the situation.
The professional should have in-depth knowledge of network impact analysis, modeling and network capacity planning. The network engineer will play an active role in the development of technical white papers on new technologies and operational module development. The professionals are responsible for software, hardware device upgrades. They should look into the LAN equipment configurations and provisioning.
The Network Consulting Engineer will take care of the network troubleshooting and protocol analysis. The professional should have a good understanding of IP addressing and variable length subnet masking. It is the responsibility of the network engineer to design and support for network security technologies and products. The engineer must take care of the Wide Area Network technology provisioning and configuration.
The Consulting Network Engineer has to setup network standards, procedural documentation, and enterprise level network diagramming. They should identify and resolve any issues with regard to the quality of service design, configuration, and testing. The professionals must have good knowledge about remote access technologies such as SSL‐VPN, IPSec, B2B, and others.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
- Working with complex IT networks and evaluating associated products and networks
- Assisting in all network configurations and offering necessary support for network migration and upgrade processes
- Collaborating with customers to design different strategies to create complex network projects
- Troubleshooting all complex network platforms and resolving issues in a rapid and efficient manner
- Evaluating the network and offering technical assistance to establish programs
- Ensuring efficient configuration of all voice network tools
- Exploring and researching all new technologies and maintaining network architecture activities
- Making sure to achieve smooth transition on networks and carrying out all the network configuration activities
- Working with the distribution teams and evaluating all work plans
- Generating timely reports and providing an appropriate solution to customers on complex networks
- Organizing network operations and associated resources to fulfill all the hardware and software requirements
- Offering alternatives for the smooth functioning of the networks
- Taking care of the network installation and ensuring all necessary documents are in place
- Upgrading all technical knowledge of various network technologies
- Accumulating and installing network components and other associated resources
- Creating user environments, directories, and security for the networks
- Recording all infrastructure adjustments and deployment
- Conducting system maintenance and inspection of the existing network infrastructure
A bachelor’s degree in telecommunications, electronics, computer science or any related field is a must. This position requires a good knowledge of IP routing and switching. Priority will be given to applicants who have relevant work experience and a master’s degree.
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Security+
- Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician (CCENT)
- Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching
- Cisco CCNP Routing and Switching
- Juniper Networks Certified Associate Junos (JNCIA-Junos)
According to Payscale, the Consulting Network Engineer’s salary is approximately $86,650 per year. Glassdoor reports that the national average wage of Consulting Network Engineers in the United States is about $87,781. Salary estimates were collected from 853 anonymous employees. The Indeed salary estimate shows that the Consulting Network Engineer salary ranges from approximately $84,115 per year for an Electrical Engineer to $139,432 per year for Software Architect.
The demand for Consulting Network Engineers seems to grow with the changing technology. There is expected to be a 4.5 percent increase in the salaries. The number of job opportunities will be doubled depending on the amount of experience and qualifications.
The Field Engineer Factor
Professionals in the network and telecom fields looking for careers in the on-demand freelance marketplace should explore FieldEngineer.com. It is a portal where professionals can highlight and advertise their skills. They can get in touch with the businesses through this one-stop platform. FieldEngineer.com is the place to go for first-rate service and many fantastic opportunities to qualify. Worldwide there are now over 40,000+ freelance field engineers from over 180 countries so finding a platform that helps individuals to explore possibilities and find positions that they feel fit is invaluable.