A Relay Tester is someone who tests or modifies developmental and operational electrical machinery. This high-demand professional also handles electrical control equipment and circuitry in industrial or commercial settings. They generally work under the direction of engineers or technologists.
The primary duty of Relay Tester is to install, maintain, and repair elaborate, protective relaying schemes. The tester should take responsibility for the remote control and data systems. They must also look into the protection of metering and other settings.
Additional responsibilities of a Relay Tester include:
- Repair and examine the relays used to protect and control the functions of the tools such as circuit breakers, transformers, and automatic switches
- Attach the relay to test board and regulate test board controls to initiate operating conditions
- Keep check of the ammeters, voltmeters, and other test board instruments
- Look into the relay delay performance as per the previous specifications of the manufacturer
- Evaluate responses of the relay to assess the cause of a malfunction
- Tighten up the bolts, springs, and electrical connections, and adjusts screws to correct the fault.
- Modify electrical, thermal, and timing elements to standardize relay as per the installation specifications
- Replace and rectify the defective relays with the help of machinery or hand tools along with brush or feather
- Document test results, adjustments, and related data on relay history
- Conduct timely inspections and investigate the relays at functioning points
- Examine and rectify related equipment including telemetering and supervisory-control devices
- Verify the circuit diagrams and ensure that the manufacturers are following the company standards
- Examine the switches, clears, grounds, and locks of equipment
- Maintain specialized equipment and complete any required modifications
- Coordinate with other departments and work on troubleshooting tasks
- Give proper feedback to keep performance on the track
- Use a wide range of general purpose and specialized electrical and electronic testing equipment and instruments
The desired candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in electronics, electrical, telecommunication or other related fields. The individual will have an added advantage if they have prior work experience. Employers will give preference to candidates with a master’s degree as well.
Relay Tester Salary
According to Comparably.com, the average salary of a Relay Tester ranges from a low of $21,140 to a high of $62,150 with a median salary of $ 36,000.
Reach out to Field Engineer
To be hired as a freelance Cybersecurity Operation visit Fieldengineer.com a freelance telecom field service marketplace, which connects businesses seeking candidates with suitable skills. Registered here are about 35,000+ engineers from various telecom fields from over 170 countries, allowing companies to hire engineers on a contingent or a project basis.