The Printer Technician is a professional who install new printers, configure printers on network, maintain and ensures the proper function of standalone printers or Network Printers. The Printer Technician takes care of the regular and routine repairs including replacements such as new ink cartridges. The Printer Technician must be comfortable copying, faxing, producing images and other printer-related issues. As a professional, working in coordination with information technology staff, you will assist in resolving underlying problems with the network.
A Printer Technician’s first and foremost duty is to install the printers and configure them on the network. If supplemental parts are required to keep the printer running, the Printer Technicians might be responsible for procurement and installation of those parts.
Technicians have to ensure papers are loaded correctly in all printers to minimize paper jams and reduces maintenance calls. In case of a mechanical issue, the Printer Technician repairs and replaces faulty parts.
Keeping track of the ink levels in the printer cartridges on a daily basis allows the Printer Technician to replace ink cartridges as necessary.
The Printer Technician must know how to maintain laser printers by keeping aware of new software applications as well as advancements in laser printing hardware. It is the Printer Technician’s responsibility to perform regular maintenance activity at times when that maintenance will not interfere with regular production work.
Apart from the regular servicing and replacement, the Printer Technician might also troubleshoot network configuration issues for the network printers to function properly. Technicians will be Coordinating with the Information Technology Department to address any upgrade of their antivirus and network patches to ensure security.
Typical Job Description:
The technicians will be responsible for the timely and cost effective maintenance and repair of office product equipment and for promoting and maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction with our service and products.
The technicians must be able to successfully complete and possess the following.
- Maximize equipment up-time through timely response and effective and efficient repair with selective customer training to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Ability to troubleshoot and think independently.
- Mechanical and electrical aptitude and demonstrated
- Ability to train the end users.
- Knowledge of Basic Networking.
- Computer and analytical skills.
- Prior experience in the maintenance and repair of printers manufactured by HP, Brother, Lexmark, Okidata, Xerox.
- Possess excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Complete all administrative aspects of the job on time and error-free.
- Provide accurate feedback with call close information, parts usage reporting and customer meter readings.
- Must be able to problem solve, conduct written and verbal communication, read and comprehend technical information.
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds. Pull, lift, reach and transport equipment parts and boxes.
- Must have reliable vehicle.
- Must have valid driver license and insurance.
Candidates with a High School Diplomas, Electronics or Computer Associates Degrees will be preferred.
Companies tend to favor candidates who have with earned industry and vendor certifications. The CompTIA awards PDI+ certification to applicants who show proficiency in basic maintenance of printers, fax machines, and copiers. There are other certifications awarded by other manufacturers: HP, Xerox, Konica, Lexmark and Canon that are specific to company requirements.
The average earnings according to Payscale for a Printer Technician is approximately $17.25 per hour. According to Payscale, a Laser Printer Technician earns close to $16.61 per hour. Experienced candidates can expect to earn a slightly higher income.
Are you searching for printer technician opportunities? Grab a chance to work as a freelance Printer Technician in the world’s largest online marketplace. Sign up and browse through the various offers that are available on our FieldEngineer.com platform. Businesses in search of skilled professionals can easily search for the ideal candidate to satisfy their requirements. Whether seeking a position or looking for the most technically proficient employee, you will find your ideal job or candidate at Field Engineer.