Companies view the Outside Technician Line Worker as a professional technician tasked with the installation, removal, and readjustment of outside plant facilities. A line worker generally performs outdoor installation and maintenance jobs. The line technician connects wires and cables to terminals. They assemble or detach different types of wire to equipment and poles.
The Technician carries out building work, such as channeling holes, readjusting utility poles, placing cable, unreeling and dragging winding wire and cable from pole to pole. In the telecom arena, an Outside Line Tech plays a vital role in the completion of the assigned projects either in-house or at the designated field. They collaborate with government bodies as well as business clients in their ongoing telecom projects.
Outside Technician Line Worker Job Description :
Line workers remain the backbone of the telecom industries. Businesses rely heavily on both part-time and full-time line technicians. Standard job responsibilities of this position encompass the following tasks:
- To rearrange outside plant wires in blocks, offices, poles, factories and underground or aerial set-ups as well as all related hardware or fixtures
- To connect wires and cables to stations and rearrange different types of hardware to wires, cables, building or poles
- To interpret assigned engineering work orders
- To perform construction work, such as the placement of poles, using allocated equipment
- To operate organizational vehicles for the transportation of required equipment as required
- To provide effective pole work without compromising safety as required for the repair work
- To operate power equipment such as chainsaws, winches and hydraulic equipment, such as aerial lifts-bucket, diggers-derricks on the truck along with all applicable hand tools
- To load and unload tools and equipment onto trucks and trailers
- To prepare reports and records for assigned maintenance or new installations on-demand
Education and Skills:
In order to become successful outside Line Tech, you will need to possess a high school diploma in computer science, a telecom diploma and related skillset to perform required tasks.
You should have a valid driving license with the satisfactory driving record. An A or B class CDL provides an added advantage.
Outside Technician Line Worker Salary:
As per paysa, the salary of an Outside Tech Line Worker averages $57,253 per year. However, part-time work may provide a welcome career boost. Those interested in working on a freelance basis can sign up on FieldEngineer.com. It provides a superior platform to help connect prospective Line Techs with businesses in the freelance marketplace throughout the world. FieldEngineer.com serves more than 35,000+ engineers from over 170 countries around the world.