A Network Design Engineer designs and maintains the topology of an organization’s network set-up, either on-site or at a designated locale. Network designers configure efficient computer network designs for both large and small businesses. Design engineers set up an organization’s IT infrastructure and get it up and running. In doing so, the network designer configures multiple types of connections, including those that network an organization’s printers, servers, and applications.
In our diverse networking world, apart from supporting standard routing and switching solutions, designers often must remain a step ahead of other engineers in the IT and Telecom fields in leading-edge technologies. They support specialized services such as security, VoIP, storage along with specific point virtualization via cloud computing.
Essential job responsibilities for the design engineer include the following tasks:
- To ensure that work meets all related engineering, planning, and operational standards
- To identify potential network issues and risks, and to provide workable technical solutions to mitigate such risks
- To develop contingency and fail-over network topologies to maintain dependable network throughput in order to serve your client’s business needs best
- To document network performance in order to take proactive and corrective action as needed
- To work with the Network Operations NOC team in configuring and implementing network design changes
- To provide mentoring and training in design solutions and additional systems training on in-place systems
- To configure and support network services such as MPLS, Ethernet, Ethernet access, Layer 2 switching, wireless, network security and others
Education, Skills, and Certifications:
To become a successful Design Engineer, you will need to have a primary degree in computer science, IT or a related field. The candidate will be familiar with network topologies, VMWare, wireless technologies, VoIP, fiber optics and MPLS.
Certifications provide a career boost and increase the likelihood of getting hired. Important certifications include the Cisco CCIE as well as a number of relevant Juniper certifications, including the Certified Design Specialist JNCDS-SEC.
Network Design Engineer Salary:
As per Payscale, this position’s salary in the US averages $76,592 per year. As a freelance engineer, one might earn around $67.41 per hour. Freelance salaries depend on the candidate’s experience level.
Know How Fieldengineer.com helps:
Interested in employment as a freelance Design Engineer in the Global Freelance Marketplace? Then signup to Fieldengineer.com. It allows for great professionals to connect with the best employers who are looking to hire engineers with specific skills and experience. 35,000+ engineers from over 170 countries, all working in different technology disciplines, have registered themselves on this platform to allow employers to hire them for specialized roles.