Data Center Technician?
A Data center Technician is someone who provides all the necessary support to a business’s data center. It usually happens that the data center had its personnel equipped with facilities to conduct this specific operation in the organization. The professionals work with individual servers or hardware infrastructure, backups and restoration of data within a network. The job role includes tasks such as running cables or improving data center security and other types of maintenance works.
The technician should answer questions and take queries from various sources and provide them with the right information. Coming to the technology requirements, they must be competent with operating systems, network infrastructure and all kinds of hardware deployment.
Roles & Responsibilities
The primary job responsibility of the Data center Technician is to provide the necessary technical support at data centers. The tasks to be performed are system/network installation, configuration, and troubleshooting problems to make sure smooth running of operations. Here are some of the responsibilities that come under their job purview:
- Must take care of the installation and maintenance of the data center devices and process. These may include servers or some specific software necessary for the organization.
- Should have a good understanding of all technicalities. It will help the professionals to identify the errors and also monitor occurrences related to data center tasks. They should be able to resolve any error as quickly as possible.
- Maintain a record to keep track of all the events and logs. It will make work easy when they submit timely reports to the superiors.
- Should come up with practical troubleshooting solutions and must educate the staff members about the same.
- It is crucial to carry out assessments and inspections at regular intervals. It will help them to keep everything under control and will also allow them to act immediately whenever any problem occurs.
- Must come up with new and prospective ideas to improve business. Should have excellent communication skills to put across the message.
The candidate must have bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or IT Engineering. Proper training in hardware and software administration can be advantageous. Apart from the regular education, there are some certification courses as well that increase the job prospects. These are some of the certification courses that one can opt for:
- Cisco Certified Network Associate Data Center (CCNA Data Center)
- Cisco Certified Network Professional Data Center (CCNP Data Center)
- Juniper Networks Certified Professional Data Center (JNCIP-DC)
- VCE Converged Infrastructure Administration Engineer (VCE-CIAE)
- VMware Certified Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization (VCP6-DCV)
Data center Support Technician job requires the candidates to have particular skills which will help them to excel in the field.
Data center Technician should have good knowledge about switches, routers, monitors, and various other specialized equipment.
The professionals should conduct tests to identify and fix faults in a computer/network system.
Data center Technician salary and Job outlook
According to PayScale, In the US, it is usually men who opt for Data center Technician job. The professionals earn about $21.92 per hour. The common factors that affect the pay are geographic location, career length and the particular employer. The job satisfaction is high, and it is enjoyable.
Use the right platform like Field Engineer to land a job in the best freelance marketplace. It is a place where businesses look out for the high-demand talent.